Sunday, July 13, 2008

My Very Own "Made-up" Recipe

Last night I decided to make stuffed french toast. It soaks overnight so it is easy for Sunday morning breakfast. I have a recipe from the Best of the Best California Cookbook that we all really like. It is made with blackberries and cream cheese. Late last night, I wasn't up to going to the store so I decided to make do with what I had on hand and change the recipe accordingly. It worked!! This is what I came up with:

Peaches and Cream French Toast (catchy...huh!?)

1 loaf french bread
1 jar home canned peaches (I used the ones I canned in the fall from Utah...yum!)
10 eggs
1/3 cup peach syrup from jar
1 cup whipping cream
1 cup milk
ground cinnamon

Cut the french bread into cubes. Butter a 9 x 13 pan. Spread half of the bread cubes over bottom of the pan. Thinly slice peaches and layer evenly over bread cubes. I used my whole jar. Place remaining bread cubes over top.
Beat eggs, syrup, cream and milk together well. Pour over bread. Sprinkle with ground cinnamon. Lightly grease tin foil and cover. Press down on the foil to make sure all the bread is soaked. Refrigerate overnight.
In the morning, preheat oven to 350. Remove foil and replace with new foil. Make sure it isn't touching the cubes. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake another 30 minutes until center is set and top is lightly browned. Let sit 10 minutes before serving.
Serve with butter, maple syrup and powdered syrup. ENJOY!

No comments: