From a William Sonoma cookbook I got for my wedding. It has lasted as a family favorite all these years! Its a great way to use up left over ham from Christmas or Easter!
8 Tbl unsalted butter
12 oz rigatoni
1/2 c flour
2 1/2 cups milk
4 oz. Fontina or Swiss cheese, cut into julienne strips
1 cup of ham, roughly chopped
pink of nutmeg
salt and pepper
Over medium heat melt 2 Tbl of the butter. Add the mushrooms and saute for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
In a large pot cook rigatoni in boiling water for about 6 minutes.... very al dente. Drain pasta and transfer to a bowl. Add 2 1/2 tbl of the butter and toss well.
In a saucepan melt 2 1/2 T. of butter over medium heat. Add the flour and stir until smooth, about 2 minutes. Stirring constantly, gradually add the milk. Continue to stir until it thickens and is smooth and creamy, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in drained mushrooms. Sprinkle with Nutmeg and stir well. Season with salt and pepper.
Grease 9x13 pan with remaining butter. Layer 1/2 of the rigatoni, 1/2 the cheese and ham and then pour on 1/2 of the sauce. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

2 comments:
This has become one of our regular meals when we have left over ham. It is really really good!! You gave me the recipe almost ten years ago and we still use it. Thanks!!
I created a pasta thing last night that was meat free and soooooo good!! I know you are trying to eat less meat, so I am going to share...
Pesto Pasta
2 cups uncooked pasta, cooked
3/4 cup basil pesto
2-3 cups of cherry or grape tomatoes cut in quarters
2-3 cloves fresh garlic
4 oz cream cheese cut in little chunks
1 cup of grated jack cheese or cut it in chunks
Cook the pasta with a little salt. Drain and rinse. While the pasta is still warm, add cream cheese and all the other ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve warmish. I added a little parmesan cheese, but I am not sure it was necessary.
Post a Comment