Monday, April 19, 2010

Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers




6-8 Green, Red or Yellow Peppers (I like a variety)cleaned with stems and seeds removed
2 Tbl. olive oil
1/2 red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 red pepper diced
6 oz. mushrooms quartered
2 Tbl. fresh chopped basil
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups butternut squash, cubed and steamed
1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes with chiles (I like Trader Joe's)
1 cup plus 4 Tbl. tomato sauce (I use a favorite spaghetti sauce)
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 cup shredded cheese (I like mexican blend)

Cook onion, pepper and garlic in hot oil until onion begins to soften. Stir in mushrooms and basil and cook until mushrooms are just beginning to cook through. Add tomatoes and 1 cup tomato sauce; simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in black beans, squash, brown rice and cheese until well combined and cheese is melted. Sea salt and pepper to taste.

Place remaining tomato sauce in baking dish. Stuff peppers with mixture and place on top of sauce. Add 1/2 c water, cover with foil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Enjoy!!

I made this up as I went along and it turned out great! My kids LOVED it! (Except the younger 2.... it was a little spicy for them!)

No comments: