Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Adventures in Weight Loss

For the last 3 1/2 weeks I have been working really hard to get in shape and lose the rest of my baby weight. (Sophie is now 2 .... so maybe saying "toddler weight" would be more accurate???) Anyway, thanks to the encouragement of a dedicated group of really great girls in my ward who run 4 miles, 3 times a week, I am slowly but surely getting into shape!
Slowly I am running farther and farther. On Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, when the other girls aren't running, I ride my bike. I am up to 8 - 10 miles at a pretty fast pace. On the running days I can keep up with the other girls for the first mile and a half and then take a short break and fast walk. Today I caught them on their way back too and kept up for quite awhile until a quarter sized blister on my foot couldn't be ignored any longer! (I REALLY need better running shoes....!) I am hoping with better shoes and a few more weeks I will be able to keep up the entire time!
I can actually walk up the stairs carrying a load of laundry now without running out of breath!!
You have to understand that NEVER in my 36 years have I been a successful runner. Even as a teenager I was a fast sprinter but any distance and I was out! Endurance has never been a strength! Last year I was seeing a cardiologist for some heart issues and one of the tests required me to run on a treadmill. After a couple of minutes the nurse asked me if I work out. When I told her no... not really... she replied, "Ya.... I can tell...."

All of the excercise has really helped me eat better too. I just make better choices when it comes to what I eat. I don't want to waste all that hard work!! I don't totally deny myself my vices like soda and ice cream I just don't have them very often or I have found good substitutes. Instead of regular ice cream, if I need a sweet treat I am eating Fresh and Easy's lemon sorbet or mango sorbet Popsicles. The Popsicles are only 80 calories and are fat free ... with no artificial sweeteners! Maybe someday I will try to cut sugar out completely.... but that day is not today!!

I am just so happy that I am seeing such great results. I have WAY more energy. I think because I am feeling better about myself that I am happier overall too. Because of both of those I am more productive. Even our morning routine has gotten a lot better organized and runs smoother out of necessity.... because mom is out running or biking every morning until just after 7am! And of course the weight and inches I have lost have been very encouraging too!


(There have been some funny moments.... last week I left too late to go with the others so I ran alone and was chased and almost bitten by a BIG goose. This morning I went to cross Guadalupe and I tripped over a cactus ....it left a nice, big red streak up my shin! OH WELL! )




THANK YOU BEKAH, STACEY, KARA, LENA, MELISSA AND LINDY!!! YOU ARE SUCH AN INSPIRATION FOR ME! YOU ARE AWESOME!!

4 comments:

rebecca said...

Good for you, Cheri!

sarah said...

Hey Cami is coming to visit in a couple of weeks. I was thinking of seeing if anyone over yonder wants to meet for dinner Thursday Oct 9th to visit with her.

Laura said...

Great Job Cheri! I'm waiting for some pictures of you with less "inches and pounds". Keep up the good work.

Juliana said...

Good Job! You are giving me hope and encouragement to get my baby fat body out there too! I miss the feeling you feel from being in shape! You feel awesome!