I finally got a chance to read A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, author of The Kite Runner. I found it to be a very thought provoking and touching story about the women of Afghanistan. Although a tragic story, I found myself completely absorbed in a world I know little about.
Next I decided to read something a little lighter so I jumper into State of the Union by Brad Thor. This was all action and intrigue ... like reading a season of 24. John really likes these and I have to admit I do to! The continuing saga of Secret Service agent Scott Harvath and his fight to save our great nation!
After I finished the action book I hesitantly started Stephenie Meyer's latest book, The Host. I know everyone has been split on this one but I have to say... I am firmly in the "LIKE IT" group. It was different from her Twilight series and very much science fiction but I thought it was great! I couldn't put it down and read it cover to cover in 2 days!

Last week John went to the Library and brought home two books for me I had never heard of but I thoroughly enjoyed them both. First was Searching for Eternity written by Elizabeth Musser. It was a little slow moving and depressing at first but the storyline eventually sucks you in. It is about the French Resistance during WWII and the Butcher of Lyon. It had me in tears more than once describing the atrocities committed by the very sick and absolutely evil Klaus Barbie.


4 comments:
I'm finally at a point where I'm making time for reading like this. A Thousand Splendid Suns is on my list, as is Host, and Wednesday Letters. Thanks for the suggestions! I just finished and loved the Twilight series (I know, I'm the last one in the world to do so:)), and now I'm reading The Signers of the Constitution. I love variety too:)
Hey Cheri! So glad you enjoyed the book. Looks like you've got eclectic taste!
Hey, I just put Pillars of the Earth on hold a few days ago. I saw the author on Oprah and thought it sounded very interesting. Although, I'm not so sure I'm up to reading a book of that magnitude.
Ok - I'm jealous - you got Jason Wright to comment on your blog???? Doug and I read that book together and LOVVEEDD it! It was such a touching story about forgiveness! I'll have to let you know about a book that is coming out in september '08 "The Santa Letters" (sounds like the last book - I know :) - Doug's cousin wrote it, so I was lucky to preview it - so I haven't been able to get to "the host" and believe it or not the last book also of Stephanie Meyers - but I am planning to catch up quick this summer! You write fantastic posts with great recipes - you should start a recipe blog - I'll join if you do - andi
Post a Comment