A few weeks ago I had a discussion with some friends about how we each make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I put peanut butter on both sides of the bread and then jelly on top of the peanut butter of just one side. A friend puts peanut butter on one side and then the jelly on the other. A third friend until recently would put butter on the bread BEFORE the peanut butter. WHY? Why do we each make such a common sandwich so differently? The answer is simple.... because our mothers did.
After that conversation I really thought about that a lot. How many things do we do every day because of our mothers? The way you make any sandwich... not just a peanut butter and jelly. Do you use mayo or Miraclewhip.... or just butter? How about how you make a bed or the direction you vacuum. Do you put milk on your oatmeal? What about honey on grapefruit or sugar on corn flakes? The way we do laundry or how we dust our furniture or clean a toilet??? Do you drink a certain soda because she did (or does).... and do you hide it like she did too?A lot of my friends that are soda drinkers drink only diet .... guess why? Because their moms always did ... that was what was in the house. I NEVER drink diet because my mom was strongly against any and all fake sugars and sweeteners.
That led me to other comparisons ...... like how we each take care of ourselves.... or not. My mother never took the time to do her nails. We never had the money for her to have them done either. Guess what I almost never do .... my nails! And the way I wear my make-up... specifically my eyeliner ... yep ... just like mom.
My mother was always very busy .... with all my younger brothers and sisters and also with her many projects. I don't remember her really helping me much with homework or even asking me if I did it. As I got older I found myself not doing my homework ... or at least not until a few moments before the bell rang and the assignment was actually due. Even in college I would procrastinate almost every assignment. Because of this it is very important to me (and to John) that our children have good study habits. I don't just make sure they do their homework but that it is done correctly and neatly. NO assigment is done late....ever. My children know that academics are very important.... to both their parents. A little pshycho? Perhaps......
Now on the other side of things I also have funny favorites like my mom too .... specifically because they were her favorites. I like to eat at Long John Silvers.... I don't know ANYONE that likes to eat there but me and my sisters .... because our mom did.
Because my mom passed away 3 1/2 years ago I think maybe I ponder these things more often than other people. I also think I hold tight to her favorite things and make them mine because I miss her so very much. She wasn't perfect..... far from it. But she was my mom. I wanted to be just like her when I grew up ... and in many ways I am but in equally many ways I am opposite .... but still because of her. Whether she meant to or not she helped make me into the woman I am today and I guess as long as I am happy with the person and mother I have become.... she did a good job.
Thanks Mom. I miss you....

11 comments:
Cheri that was seriously such and awesome post! You are so right about the things we do and don't do. It's often black or white...either exactly the same, or the complete opposite. I must say that your mom must have done a great job, because you are so great!
What a beautiful post Cheri! I have told you this before, but I think you are an amazing person and mother. And that is the greatest tribute to your mom!
wow...you actually eat long john silvers??? I love that you do that because its something from your mother! I cannot believe how much she looks like KATIE in the top photo...even the expression on her mouth!
Loved it! Also made me think...when we were first married I had SOOO many issues with my mother-in-law. I finally had to realize that Ryan was the wonderful and amazing man that I had fallen in-love with because of her. He would not have been the same person if he would've had a different mother, and because of that, I had to love her; she had helped to mould Ryan into who he was!
Cheri I am in tears- beautiful thoughts and memories. It's true for better or for worse, we are who we are because we are either mimicking(sp?)our mothers or desperately doing the opposite of them. I catch myself sounding like my mom on a daily basis- in tone and word choice. Sometimes I laugh under my breath because its so familiar. Let me just say, Cheri you are amazing. I have always said it, and I'll say it again... I adore you because of the challenges you've faced, the fun stories you share about your upbringing, the mother and loyal friend you are. Thank goodness for you in my life!
That was very touching. Thank you for that beautiful post.
What a great tribute to mother's! Reading it made me think alot about my mom and the things I do because of her. Thanks for the reflection.
Thanks for the beautiful writing about your life. It is such a blessing and joy to have a great daughter with so much love in her heart. Have a fantastic MOM's day and remember each day with LOVE and joy in your heart. Love all of you! Dad
Thanks for the beautiful writing about your life. It is such a blessing and joy to have a great daughter with so much love in her heart. Have a fantastic MOM's day and remember each day with LOVE and joy in your heart. Love all of you! Dad
Cheri- You stinker! I just found your blog through your comment on mine. I've been thinking about you and how we need to catch up. Hooray for blogs! I'm having fun reading through yours.
I love your hair. You look like one of your girls. You look great!
Finally, this was a really nice post about your mom. I remember you talking about her often, and honoring her through service and love. You still make her proud, I'm sure, by being such an AMAZING mother and wife. You could write a book on how to get it done:)
Miss you!
I miss Grandma Diana a lot.
Post a Comment