There are 5 "Leading" sauces - Bechamel (commonly known as white sauce), veloute, espagnole (known as brown sauce), tomato and hollandaise. All of these can be seasoned and garnished to create a wide varety of all other "small" or "compound" sauces.
The 5 Leading sauces are distinguished by the liquids and thickeners used to prepare them:
Milk + white Roux = bechamel (white sauce)
Chicken stock + blonde roux = veloute sauces
Beef stock + brown roux = espagnole (brown suce)
Tomato sauce
Butter + ehh yolk = hollandaise
A "Roux" is how you thicken your sauce. It is a combination of flour and fats (usually butter) to form a paste. There are 3 types of roux:
White Roux - cooked only briefly and removed from heat as soon as it starts to bubble. Used in white sauces or in dishes where little or no color is desired
Blonde Roux - cooked slightly longer than the white roux. It should start to take on a little color as the flour carmelizes. It is used in ivory colored sauces such as veloute, or whe a richer flavor is desired.
Brown Roux - tis cooked until it is a darker color and has developed a nutty aroma and flavor. Brown roux is used in making brown sauces.
TIPS:
1.) Use a heavy saucepan when making a roux
2.) Cook over medium heat - do not BURN!! Burned roux will not thicken anything and just taste realy bad!
3.) Use cake or pastry flour instead of all purpose flour - cake and pastry flour has a higher percentage of starch.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
THanks for posting these recipes. They look great. I am going to trry some out. Thought you might like to know We have a blog now.
www.angiandjohn.blogspot.com
stop by
I'm so glad you posted these! I'll have to practice, practice so I can pass them on to our RS. Unless you want to come to Boston to teach:):) Miss you!
You must have attended the sauce class (did you teach?) I SHOULD have been at the class taking super awesome notes (heaven knows my cooking needs some help), but I was too tired...too much to do and too little time.
Did not know any of this stuff - knew about white sauce and brown sauce - I need the gourmet touch to it!! I copied all of your recipes they look great! I would love to spend the day with you and get great cooking tips!
How did your wedding go?
Post a Comment