Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Finding Joy in the Journey

A few nights ago I had the wonderful opportunity to go out to dinner with a good friend. We spent the evening talking about our current stages of life, about our kids and even our relationships with our husbands. A big topic was President Monsons's talk about Finding Joy in the Journey.... We had both seen a post about it on Mindi's blog.
This time of year can be so stressful and busy.... it is so hard to stop and actually enjoy the moment. There is sooo much Christmas shopping yet to be done, Christmas cards to finish, presents to wrap, more decorations to put up, Christmas dinner to be planned, bought and prepared, too many teacher's gifts to put together, goodies to be baked for all the friends and neighbors..... not to mention volunteering to handle ticket sales and to help with costumes for the Gilbert Fine Arts upcoming youth production of Thoroughly Modern Millie (that Adam, Katie and Rachel all have parts in.....) and oh ya.... puppies are coming this weekend!!
How do you enjoy it all when there is so much that it is totally overwhelming and you just can't wait for it all to be over?!
That great evening out with my friend really helped me to put it all in better perspective. NOTHING is more important than our families. Nothing is more important this holiday season than teaching them about Christ and the significance of his birth. We can't let ourselves get so stressed that we can't enjoy those special little moments..... watching the lights in their eyes while decorating the tree together as a family, taking each of the kids shopping by themselves so they can buy a gift for their brother or sister, taking that quiet moment to talk a little about the Savior.... maybe even while you are baking sugar cookies for the neighbor! ANYTHING!
I just keep thinking that Katie is already 12 years old. She is running out of Christmas Holidays at home! We only have so much time with her under our roof....under our wing! We only have so much time to teach her all she needs to know before she heads out into this crazy and often scary world.
I don't want to miss anything. I don't want to miss ANY opportunities to share a special moment.
I DO want to find joy in the JOURNEY.....even though it is so HARD sometimes ... but I am in no hurry to be at the end, are you?

3 comments:

Collette said...

I agree, and I think that's why traditions are so important. Even with how busy we are, if we make sure our little Christmas traditions don't get cut from the list of things to do, that's what our kids will remember and hang on to when they are older.

Laura said...

Well I am not one to be handing out advice, I'm the one who needs it... what I can say I'm learning is to simplify. Some people are really good at handling a lot at one time, but for me, the more stuff going on makes me a little crazy and that's when I start taking it out on my kids and John... and definitely not finding JOY:).
Being on a student's budget has been one of the best things for our family. John and I were just commenting last night that because of where we are, and the fact that money is tight... this Christmas has been so much more meaningful than years in the past. We sort of have blinders on here, because we aren't in the know about this or that event, production, clubs, and our ward members are so spread out there isn't the pressure of dropping 30 plates of goodies off, etc... it hasn't side tracked us and it has given our family more time to just be together. YES those things are great and yes our kids are still doing dance/soccer but being here has made me realize how much I used to bring on myself (still working on this). I've heard a few of my friends saying this year they are choosing one or two things to drop from their list this year like one friend isn't doing her Christmas card this year, another said she isn't doing neighborhood/teacher gifts. Anyway- it is hard when we get burried in the 'stuff' and our kids are on the sidelines growing like weeds-- to find the joy. I am so with you-- Jessie will be 13 in less than a month and I cannot believe it. I want to bottle this time with them, but I can't. So in the mean time, I am going to try to simplify!!
ps, Cheri, so sorry to hear about your puppies. Hope the remaining pups continue to thrive.
And your card was darling. Thank you!

Laura said...

okay-- that was long... sorry! I guess I haven't talked to you in a while :) :)